Ever wondered how easy it will be to share files as fast as possible without USB and internet.
Consider the following cases:
- An instructor trying to share files across students in a class.
- In meetings when the meeting agenda and materials are to be shared among attendees.
- At hackathon where sharing files and encrypted keys via USB is not a good idea and sharing via internet is worse.
- Sending a file to your mobile devices without cable or internet.
We can’t exhaust how many problems occur due to file sharing via USB or the internet.
The most suitable solution is having a private server which cost a lot. But aren’t we forgetting something? Your computer can also be a server and perform the above cases within seconds.
There i introduce to you the PirateChest. Purely written in the web language, turns any computer into a server that can allow up to 100 clients to upload, download and chat in real time. For the inpatient once, let me stop talking and start off with the installation instructions.
NOTE:: I assume you already have Wamp Server on your computer and PHP is an environmental variable.
1. Head to the PirateChest repository on github(http://github.com/aminubakori/PirateChest) download a zip or clone the repo to your local wamp server.
2. Navigate to the application/_install folder and run the Install.bat file. On successful install move to step 3.
4. Register the admin account and login.
5. Upload the files you will like to share.
6. Connect from other devices on PirateChest Wi-Fi network and navigate to IP:3000.
7. Try downloading the files you uploaded.
8. Use Ctrl + C to close the server and to switch off the network run PirateChestStop.bat as administrator. Navigate to the application/_install folder and run the Install.bat file. On successful install move to step 3.
Congrats You Have Successfully Made Your First Lunch.
I guess you are very happy you found a solution to some of your problems.
**Note:: No need to do 1-4 all the time after install as this will reset the PirateChest. Just lunch the server.
**Note:: For large files upload, edit php.ini as follows(for 513MB max upload)
upload_max_filesize = 513M
post_max_size = 513M
memory_limit = 512M
Contributing to PirateChest
All issues and pull requests should be filed on the PirateChest repository on github(http://github.com/aminubakori/PirateChest).
Feel free to send any suggestion or comment on PirateChest via my email<email@example.com> or by commenting below.
PirateChest is an open-sourced software licensed under the MIT license